At the New Organizing Institute Education Fund (NOIEF), we are looking for an awesome Software Engineer to join our Election Administration team full-time! We work on every type of political data under the sun and this position is ideal for anyone interested in politics, political data, and solving difficult data problems. Some projects involve data wrangling, some involve building systems for data management, and others are just built for fun. One of our most visible projects is the Voting Information Project, which powered much of the data for both the Google and Microsoft polling location lookup tools on election day (and exceeded 25 million API hits). You can find out more about the Voting Information Project at http://votinginfoproject.org/, or feel free to email with any questions you might have. For more information on what we are working on, check out our newly launched political tech blog: http://bit.ly/10EBTKt
NOI is a progressive non-profit organization that builds capacity and sophistication in the progressive movement in the areas of technology and new media, especially as they relate to organizing. We are well known for the trainings we offer, our yearly Rootscamp un-conference, data research, and our work with progressive partners on improvement of technology options in the field. Here’s what our staff says about our values and workplace:
- NOI welcomes and values people (and their stories, contributions, personal lives) more than any other organization I’ve worked with.
- I love that we focus on long term capacity building rather than purely short term fights.
- I love being part of a team of ‘finishers’ – people who, once they start something, will see it through.
As mentioned above, at NOI we value the people that make up our organization and community. To that end, we offer the following benefits to our employees:
- Great vacation package/opportunities - all federal holidays, days earned throughout the year, and comp time as necessary
- Health insurance - vision and dental included
- A weeks worth of super-remote working days - work from the mountains in Nepal if that’s your thing!
- A small, startup style working environment
- Open source projects - almost all projects we work on are uploaded and available on GitHub so that you can show off what you do to your non-work friends
- An opportunity to impact real change with your daily work
- Technical Support and Development - this may sound vague, but in reality we do everything possible to help support state election administrators in a data capacity. Sometimes it is writing custom code to handle specialized inputs, other times it is reporting on validation reports on large data sets. The projects here are both interesting and endless.
- Solicit additional venues for distribution of data and tools - we provide free resources and open data, and would love for everyone to take advantage of this
- Maintain relationships with partners - in a technical capacity, supporting the work of our partners and responding to technical issues as they arise.
- Basic knowledge of political data or a genuine desire to learn all about the underlying craziness
- Database management experience - we use PostgreSQL for most tasks but know that most SQL skills are transferrable. We ask that you have a solid understanding of at least one DBMS.
- Programming skills - we use Python for most tasks but know that many programmers can pick up other languages with ease. If you can demonstrate quality experience with a moderately mainstream programming language (if your language of choice in Fortran, this job is probably not for you) and a willingness to move to other languages as projects demand, you’re set.
- Comfortable in a Linux/Unix environment
- Familiarity with:
- XML, JSON and other data standards
- A web development framework
- Basic software engineering concepts
This is a full time, salaried position, which includes health care. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. GitHub accounts (or similar repositories of work) are encouraged.
Interested in hearing about more progressive jobs from NOI and our allies? Join the NOI Jobs List!